Tuesday Dinner 20140304 Pelmeni
Small meat or potato dumplings.
Served for Tuesday Dinner on 2014-03-04.
- 3 c unsifted flour, with additional flour for rolling out dough
- 1 c warm water
- 3 eggs
- salt to taste
- 1/2 lb ground beef or veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- black pepper to taste
- 3 T Better than Bouillon beef base
- sour cream
- fresh dill
- Mix flour and salt.
- Beat eggs and mix water and eggs into flour.
- Knead dough, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Mince onion and garlic.
- Mix meat, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Roll out dough and form dough and filling into dumplings. This can be done by hand by putting filling into a circle of dough and pinching it closed around the edges, or using a pelmeni or uszka mold.
- Boil pelmeni in water and beef base until they float, about 3-4 minutes, then remove.
- Melt butter over pelmeni.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped fresh dill, and lemon wedges.
Notes and Variations
Makes about 150 dumplings, depending on size. For vegetarian potato dumplings, mash some baked or boiled potato with a small amount of heavy cream and substitute for the meat in the filling, and use vegetable or mushroom base instead of beef base. Pelmeni may be prepared and frozen, then boiled when ready to cook. Extra flour or corn starch can help keep pelmeni from sticking together when freezing.