Tuesday Dinner 20131217 Cheese Cider Fondue
Cheese fondue with apple cider.
Served for Tuesday Dinner on 2013-12-17.
- 1 clove garlic
- 9 oz cider
- 1/4 lemon
- chili pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 lb Emmentaler cheese
- Kirsch cherry flavored liqueur to taste
- Season a small pot by rubbing the inside with a cut clove of garlic.
- Simmer cider and lemon juice, and minced chili pepper if using, in the seasoned pot.
- Grate cheese and stir into pot.
- Mix cornstarch and any remaining spices into Kirsch (or cold water if not using Kirsch).
- Stir starch mixture into pot until thickened.
Notes and Variations
Oil may separate from the cheese if the fondue is too hot or cooked too long. Additional seasonings may include chili powder, nutmeg, and black, red, or white pepper. Adjust the consistency if needed by changing the ratio of cider to cheese, and by adding cornstarch. Cornstarch must be dissolved in a cold liquid (like Kirsch or water) before adding to the fondue. Serve with bite-sized dippables like bread, apples, and mixed Baked Vegetables.