Micro Weather Station
Micro Weather Station
- Hosts: Brian and Andy
- Build a Micro Weather Station using a Wemos D1 Mini, 1.3" OLED display, 3D Printed enclosure
- Wemos D1 Mini 4M (Not the lite version with 1M)
- You can buy them on Ali Express (takes about 3 weeks) or Amazon (2 days)
- programmable with Arduino or microPython. We will be using Arduino
- OLED Display 1.3"
- very common display that can be found on Amazon, eBay or Ali Express
- uses SH1106 chip so you have to use SH1106 library in your code
- I2C serial connection
- pinout is VCC, GND, SCL, SDA
- example but you can get cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Serial-SSH1106-Display-Arduino/dp/B01MRR4LVE/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_0/139-4905825-1461144
- you can also use a 0.96" screen but that one uses a different chip for the driver so you have to set your code to use the SSD1306. If your screen lights up but screen is garbled then this is the case.
- 3d Printed Enclosure
- Dupont wires - these push onto the header pins.
- assorted 2mm self taping screws
- hot glue
- donuts and coffee
Setup the Wemos D1 mini for the Arduino
- good tutorial here https://averagemaker.com/2018/03/wemos-d1-mini-setup.html
- install ch340 serial usb drivers
- install Arduino IDE - not the web version
- Add the json string to the board manager URLs in file->preferences http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
- Set the board in Arduino
- Get the blink example working
hook up the screen
- Solder dupont headers to 5V, Gnd, D3 and D4 on the Wemos D1 Mini
- connect the other end of dupont headers to oled screen
- see the below pics to see where the wires are soldered.
Load Weather Station software
1. First download and install these two libraries
You do this by clicking the green button on the above web pages and click the GREEN 'Clone or Download' button and download the zip files for both.
2. Next install these libraries into the Arduino Software
- Sketch->Include Library->Add .Zip library... then choose the zip file you previously downloaded and install.
3. Now open the Weather Station Demo code...
- File->Examples->ESP8266 Weather Station->Weather Station Demo
4. Now you will see the Weather Station Demo code and you will need to replace it with the code here WeatherStationDemoCode . Copy and paste all of it.
- Modify the WIFI settings needed for home and work
- Follow this link to get an OpenWeatherMap API key: https://docs.thingpulse.com/how-tos/openweathermap-key/
- Copy and paste code into the weatherstation code
5. At this point you should be able to upload your code to the D1 Mini board and enjoy the weather