Tuesday Dinner 20140304 Borscht
Russian beet soup with a beef broth.
Served for Tuesday Dinner on 2014-03-04.
- 16 c water
- 2-3 lb beef with bone
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 6 carrots
- 4 ribs celery
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- olive oil
- fresh parsley, thyme, peppercorn, and salt to taste
- 3 T Better than Bouillon mushroom base
- 1 large baking potato
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 lb beef stew meat
- 3 red beets
- 8 T butter
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- fresh dill to taste
- sour cream
- Coat beef with bone, onion, 2 carrots, celery, 3 cloves garlic, and 1 tomato in olive oil and roast in a preheated oven for 45 minutes at 400°F.
- Boil water in a large stock pot.
- Add roasted meat and vegetables to stock pot with parsley, thyme, peppercorn, and salt.
- Cover and boil over low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Strain solid ingredients from broth, shred and keep meat.
- Chill broth in refrigerator until grease becomes solid, and remove.
- Add mushroom base to broth.
- Slice cabbage thin and grate 1/2 of the potato.
- Simmer cabbage, shredded potato, and stew beef in broth, covered, for about 4 hours.
- Add remaining 1/2 potato to broth 1 hour before finished.
- Shred beets and remaining carrots, chop remaining tomatoes, and mince remaining garlic.
- Sauté beets, tomatoes, and garlic in butter for 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, carrots, and bell pepper and sauté another 10 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 potato and mash with heavy cream.
- Add shredded beef, sautéed vegetables, mashed potato, and chopped dill to pot.
- Stir and cook until all ingredients are warm, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream and chopped dill.
Notes and Variations
Lamb and pork may also be used in place of beef. Sugar may be added to taste to the sautéed vegetables for a sweeter soup.