O/D Meeting 1/21/2014

From LVL1
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

  • Officers and Directors present
    • Brad
    • Danielle
    • Tim
    • Nathan
    • Joseph
    • Cherith
    • Ben H.
  • Members present
    • Jason, Brian, Chris C., Rock, Divinity, Charles, Raj, Tom, Camera Guy, Gary

Minutes

Doing Bi monthly meetings

Old Business

  • Officer elections coming up next meeting
    • Elections are taken care of; no problems other than quorum barely met
    • Quorum is now the same as our membership 2 years ago
    • Discussion of adding abstention
      • Allow members to opt-in to abstention so they don't impact quorum but still contribute to the organization
      • Need a bylaw change to implement this
      • Tim Miller will work on the language
  • Director's Insurance
    • Brad followed up. New directors need to give legal name and home address. Please email to Brad.
    • Each director is now personally liable for terrible situations
    • Director's insurance explained
    • Our insurance company is changing their underwriter; Brad will talk to our agent
    • Need more recent quotes
    • If we have an employee we need to carry worker's comp insurance ~$500/yr
    • We can roll into grant
  • Makerships
    • Last round had 5 applications, 1 prior to, 3 prior to
    • More applicants each month
    • Can approximately handle 3-4 more makerships
    • People selected have been contributing
    • Some members are mentoring, applicants are seeking out mentors
  • Tool Repair
    • Broken communication has been fixed
    • No new fixes
    • Large format printer has not been fixed
    • Ben is thinking about making signs
    • Need someone to fix up the printer
  • Boneyard
    • Less of a huge disgusting mess
    • Still need to move wall of bins
    • Science Center volunteers may supply up to 10 people to help LVL1
      • Need banisters added and boneyard move
      • Need approx ~ $125 to fix
      • Danielle and managing this
      • Four hour window for volunteers
    • No need for dumpster, but need gaylords
      • Large shelf unit; may implement time limit
    • Rock can help with shelving
    • No new items added to a ban list (CRT still on that)
  • Building
    • Have a year to year lease and do not lease basement and big room
    • Zinks want to make building upgrades sort of...
    • Looking for more security, more industrial space
    • One lead: Shine contracting
      • Offers many amenities: new roof, concrete floors, garage access, secure parking, etc
      • Cars may not be a good idea
        • Perhaps overnight rule needs to be added
      • Brad will establish another tour of the offer
      • Chris: these are the same guys who did NuLu; trying to make Portland into Maker's Row (LVL1 considered an anchor)
    • It is up to the directors to suss out legitimate offers for a new building, put a plan together and let members vote
    • Chris was invited to tour Presbyterian community center
    • Ben asks about tax write off: they have to give the whole building to LVL1
    • Tim: What can we really afford? Utilities can be tough. Need to be mindful of our growing footprint.
  • Science Center Donations
    • THANK YOU!
    • One exhibit left, can scrap for copper
    • Need someone to scrap it for us/set up a date
    • More exhibits to be removed in the future
    • Another future exhibit: "Just in Time"
    • No idea about the crane exhibit yet
    • Danielle offers document that states the term of acceptance of items
    • Jose given a deadline to work on the kiosk
  • Rooms are filling up quick
    • Abandon music loft for LVL1 Museum
      • General consensus is that this is a good idea
      • Nathan is now a museum curator
    • Stress to non members that they cannot store their stuff
    • Don't want projects hanging around that aren't being worked on
    • Shelving to be upgraded
    • Parking ticket idea introduced
      • Idea has good traction
      • Hackerspaces will remove items without labels
      • Idea might help us transition to the new culture of "no label then toss"
      • Joseph will focus on this system
      • Recurring meeting reminder: keep count
  • LVLUp Kids Group
    • Danielle still going to pursue this
    • Group for kids under 18 y.o., not meet at the space
    • Need to speak to a lawyer about liabilities
    • Wanting to prevent folks from dropping off their kids in a more adult oriented environment
    • Danielle wants to get a website up and running
    • Do we need a clearer separation of association between groups?\
      • "Agency Theory" applies here
      • Coverage would change dramatically if implemented with association
    • Contact Danielle if you have questions or comments
  • Josh has space upgrades coming down the pipe
    • Taken care of mostly
  • On top of changing the keys
    • Physical keys changed
    • Pick up from Brad or request from Brad
    • Directors are not required to have a physical key
  • Community Foundation Grant
    • LVL1 still in the running
    • Need to set up a tour for the Community Foundation Grant
    • Need to fill out a report mid way through and
    • Spend money regardless of the building
    • Money allocated for:
      • $10000 80W laser cutter (3' x 4' 100W)
        • Can get one from China maybe
      • $600 tooling & upgrades
        • For zen bot downstairs & brian's CNC mill
        • End stops and software
        • Tooling bits for PCBs
      • $500 for another AC
      • $1000 for a wheelchair ramp
      • $4000 for shelving improvement
        • Units that are twice the size are spec'd out (more sturdy)
        • Pallet shelves too
      • $2400 for cleaning services
        • Clean toilets every week or 2
        • Other things that are easily definable
        • Would not intrude on member personal space
        • Vacuum floors
      • $5000 Open Hours Labor Support
        • Use this money to setup an infrastructure where we can hire a LVL1 member to keep LVL1 open at a defined time
        • Cash used to setup support
        • Help people with projects, cleaning, fixing tools, technical cleaning, not working on personal projects, training members
        • Can be used in other ways to further this goal
        • Need to find metrics to measure who many folks are coming in

New Business

  • Brad has a secretary of state filing to do
    • Chris will aid in a way
  • Tim sent out books and financial snapshot
  • Need to add Aaron to broken@lvl1.org
  • Brad wants directors to perform their duties more thoroughly
    • Chris C: uphold the LVL1 mission; reread it
    • Directors need to set some goals: O&D Current Actions
  • First draft of LVL1 manual completed; add things to it
  • Need creative ideas to enforce wood shop cleanliness
    • New hired person may need to keep tabs on people who don't clean up messes?
    • May need to refresh spray painted notices
  • New purchases:
    • Tables may need to be purchased
    • Need more trash cans
    • Need a science sink
    • Dishwasher
  • GE Hackathon
    • Revamping appliances
    • BIG first quarter announcement
    • February 8th
  • LVL1 signed up for Day of Giving
    • Brad to be finding out details
  • Crowdfunding effort will be tried if we try to move
  • Any piece of software can be bought to help manage membership & payments
    • Maybe consider paying to improve open source software
    • Quickbooks may be more friendly towards accountants, (as opposed to gnucash), maybe not
    • Tim will take a second look at the software
    • Member management is the worst part
    • Tim will look at making new books