O/D Meeting 1/20/2015

From LVL1
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

  • Officers and Directors present
    • Danielle, Ben, Daniel, Nathan, Patrick, Sean, & Jose
  • Members present
    • Pat M., Charles L., Raj, Robert, Brad

Old Business

  • Community Foundation Grant Fund Usage
    • All money spent.
    • Need to ensure insurance papers are updated with new officers and directors
    • Spent money on lawyer & retainer to answer questions on hiring part time employees
      • Old waiver is not worth much legally. A new waiver was generated by law firm. Follow up: does everyone need to resign?
      • Risk of employment practices & policies can be covered by officers & directors insurance. Individual liability minimal, unlikely.
      • Independent contractor does not really fit the prototypical LVL1 employee.
      • Can LVL1 adhere employee to LVL1 membership bylaws? Answer: yes, but recommend a separate list of policies that can be identical.
      • Legal signage & training requirements: hire payroll/HR firm to take on risk. May be relatively cheap.
      • OSHA: Free consultation services provided by state of Kentucky
      • Differences between non-profit vs for-profit while hiring employee? No unless you're hiring a highly compensated CEO
      • Grant funding employee: Hire at will basis, lack of funding a valid reason for firing, notify employee their role depends on grant, let go employee ahead of money short fall
      • Impact on 501C3? Not really
      • Follow up: What steps can we mitigate liability of injury? E-signature vs ink? Maintenance, safety training & practices, record how you keep your shop safe. E-signature just as good as ink, but user can claim they were hacked, etc.
      • Follow up: Kiosk vs paper?
      • More follow up questions for lawyers:
        • Safety officer position mitigate risk further?
        • Safety videos / framework for risk?
    • Laser carbon purchased. Good for a year on laser carbon.
    • Milling upgrades incoming.
    • AC duct work to be installed in spring
    • Next cycle? August.
    • Community Foundation Day of Giving (May). Organized by another organization above Community Foundation.
    • Brad will upload 2013 application for template.
    • Brad will continue to write grants for LVL1 as he finds them.
    • Sean has been looking for additional sources of funds for tools
    • Brad has a report to write.
  • Makership
    • Not much changed from last 2 month period.
    • Program made more efficient.
    • What can we do to help with timeliness?
      • Nag Ben.
    • List of winners on the wiki? Would be good to have a list of their projects.
    • Written project feedback was not formally required. May need to amend this?
      • Need to have them update the wiki, write a blog post, etc.
    • Jose will start documenting the makerships on the wiki.
    • Makership bucket: infinite re-up from benefactor.
  • Workshops
    • If a free workshop given, have people pledge to give to Day of Giving.
    • Need to maintain current level.
    • List of workshops on the wiki.
    • Tele-workshop/remote education.
    • learn@lvl1.org setup if you want to learn something
  • LVL1 Membership Application Processing
    • Nahtan will upload membership documentation process
  • Digital Waivers
    • Discussed

New Business

  • Director Meeting Details
    • Meet every other month still
    • Make goals to move toward
    • Need a one week notification
  • Taxes for 2014
    • Difficult because LVL1 received grant money, donations, exceeded 990 postcard limit; 990EZ territory
    • LVL1 ahead of curve in treasury detail, behind the curve in consequences/accountability
      • Consequence could be forced resignation
  • Action item for Danielle: Update officers of organization on secretary of state filing
  • Voting System
    • Seems open to voting system based on web, not email
    • Probably needs a bylaw change
    • Other hackerspaces have systems developed and published solutions
    • Whenever votes are done on bylaw changes & FAPs, results are recorded in meeting minutes; start recording in minutes
    • Bylaw change for proxy cut off: no real reason for 24 hour deadline, but can be changed
  • Need more business cards & stickers
    • Difficult to find entrance hinders business card development
  • Danielle's Piece
    • Feb 11: Give & Glow Day, KSC members coming down. Need chores
      • Woodshop optimization
      • Lighting in welding area
    • Engineering week: Last week of February 26-28th
      • Calling on ConMen to establish presence
  • Need to engage newer members with other members
    • Years ago, small group worked out well, but now we have a large group and they need to be engaged
  • Ben Hibben takes a picture of the new officers & directors

Minutes

Old Business

New Business