Welcome to LVL1!
Summer of Hacking and Making
- Special Annoucement
JUST DO IT
Announcing The Security+ Class starting May 24
Announcing Micro Lab on Climate Change on May 17 Tues 7pm to 8pm
- What is a micro lab?
People doing cool things for their fellow hackers! Shout outs this week go to:
- To everyone here tonight! Thank you
The Tim VanSant Makership LVL1's Makership Program
Note: This program is funded completely through donations and NOT through our membership dues.
- We currently have enough funds to offer a Makership. Please submit an application to become a member of LVL1! See our treasurer, make a donation.
- Members: please talk up the Makership to potential new members. Makerships are a good way to interest minorities and women in LVL1. Emphasize the experience and the opportunity. Getting a project done is less important.
- Makership Application Deadline is the last day of each month @ 11:59 PM.
- Submit your project for a chance to win 3 months of LVL1 membership and a $100 reimbursement toward your project expenses.
- Apply at www.lvl1.org/makership. Also, send any questions about how to submit a successful application to www.lvl1.org/makership. We want to award a Makership!
- If your application is not approved, PLEASE revise and resubmit next month.
- If you would like to donate ($5/mo) to this worthy cause, see one of the directors and we can set you up!
- At the moment, nothing is broken! *
Please make sure that you review the instructions and manual and ask for the training prior to using the equipment.
- If something is broken or needs to be replaced, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Please supply as much information as possible; links to websites or items are GREATLY appreciated. Consumables can be time-consuming to find; broken is not a mind reader!
- If your project doesn't fit on your shelf, please take it offsite. The boneyard is not your own personal storage shed.
- Member hosts are responsible for the space and non-member guests
- Please make sure guests sign the waiver
- Member hosts are empowered to ask visitors who do not conduct themselves according to LVL1's policies and community standards to leave
- More details on the Members' List
- Questions? Please contact a board member
- If you see something that is wrong, say something! Handle the situation in a calm orderly way.
- If something is broken, email Broken@lvl1.org
- Please respect other people's knowledge and expertise.
- Per Fire Inspector, do not wrap anything around the red sprinkler pipes. No wrapping, electrical or otherwise.* If you see something that is wrong, say something!
First Time Visitor Info
'Are there any 1st time Visitors? There will be a tour at the end of the Meeting -- Please sign the waiver of liability
- Prime Directive: Be Excellent to Each Other
- If you see something say something ex. removal of safety guards, walking away from the laser or shopbot, trashing an area, and not cleaning it up
- We recommended following CDC guidelines about health and safety
- Minors must be attended by Parent/Guardian!
- Always leave equipment at least as safe as you found it
- Do not leave equipment running unattended
- Do not block access to storage or exits
LVL1 Means of Communication
- Our website / calendar is www.lvl1.org
- Meeting Minutes, equipment information, and projects on our wiki: wiki.lvl1.org
- Sign up for our Google Group discussion list https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lvl1
- Google Hangout https://hangouts.google.com/group/KrvEvKVKapRzznlh2
- Facebook, Twitter, Meetup
- firstname.lastname@example.org - Want to learn something new, get some equipment training, or host a workshop? Want to help facilitate any of these things?
- email@example.com - Something broken? Does something need to be restocked?
- firstname.lastname@example.org - ideas for space upgrades? Send them here! or just do it!
- email@example.com - Need to contact those who are ostensibly "in charge"?
Culture of Cleanliness
- Please clean up your mess and keep the space usable for your fellow hackers!!!
- Get a FREE Clorox Wipe! Clean all the surfaces!
- T-Shirts are on sale after the meeting in the classroom!!! $10 each
- We have an Amazon Smile account. PLEASE USE! Shop at smile.amazon.com and tell them we are your favorite non-profit! LVL1 gets .05% back from each purchase at no extra cost to you!
= Regular Weekly Meetups =
- If you would like to host a regular meetup, see one of the directors and we can get you set up!
- LVL1 Open Meeting & Making - Tuesdays @ 8:00pm
Directors Meeting - Every 3rd Tuesday is the Director's Meeting and it is open to the public! 9:00 pm, in the classroom and on zoom The next one is MAy 17, 2022
- Irregular Movie and Open Build Night - this is happening in the space. Cmon in and be safe. The best night to be in the space to meet folks and learn something.
Want to host an event? We'll make it happen!
Make food not War II hackathon
August 13-14 noon to noon
Your challenge is to build a machine in 24 hours (or less) that can fling the tastiest foodstuff the longest distance with the most style. Teams can bring in any supplies they want (up to $150 worth-- We will be asking for receipts at the door!), but you can't put anything together until the start of the competition. From then on out, it's a free-for-all to build your contraption using the supplies you've brought in alongside the supplies at the LVL1 hackerspace.
At the end of the competition, teams will judge each other in the following categories:
- Taste: How delicious is it, after being flung?
- Distance: How far did you fling it?
- Ingenuity: How well-built was your flinger? How crazy?
- Appearance: Is your food recognizable on the other end?
Scores in each category will be averaged, and the top three teams will receive their assorted glory.
- $150 budget, not counting parts from the boneyard at LVL1
- Must be built in 24 hours (nothing preassembled!)
- Team size is unlimited (in either direction), but 3-6 is recommended
See the Hosting Guide on our website: http://www.lvl1.org/hosting-guide/
Need help or materials for a project?