Tuesday Dinner 20131217 Mac And Cheese
Älplermagronen, Swiss mac & cheese with potatoes and bacon.
Served for Tuesday Dinner on 2013-12-17.
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 lb macaroni
- salt to taste
- 12 oz bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- 2 lb blend of any of Gruyere, Emmentaler, Appenzeller, and Raclette cheeses, grated
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 c milk
- 1 c muscat wine
- paprika, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste
- Cut potato into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Boil potato, pasta, and salt in water. Potato should be boiled for about 10 minutes, and pasta according to directions.
- Chop and fry bacon.
- Quarter and slice onions.
- Coat onion with oil and egg, then toss with flour.
- Fry onion in bacon drippings.
- Place 2 layers each of pasta with potatoes and blend of grated cheeses into a baking dish.
- Mix cream, milk, wine, and remaining spices and pour evenly over pasta, potato, and cheese.
- Top with fried onions.
- Bake until done, about 20 minutes at 425°F.
Notes and Variations
Serve with Applesauce. Vegetarian version served without bacon. Also good with penne instead of macaroni.