O/D Meeting 1/19/2016

From LVL1
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

  • Officers and Directors present
    • Danielle (reelected)
    • Nathan (changing position)
    • Jared (sworn in)
    • Tyler (sworn in)
    • Daniel (changing position)
    • Raj (sworn in)
    • Charles (sworn in)
    • Ben (sworn out)
    • Sean (sworn out)
    • Patrick (sworn out)
    • Jose (sworn out)
  • Others present
    • Brad
    • Tim
    • David
    • Michael

New Officers & Directors

  • Danielle Blank - President
  • Nathan Armentrout - Vice President
  • Jared McNeil - Secretary
  • Tyler - Treasurer
  • Daniel Johnson - Director at Large
  • Raj Shah - Director at Large
  • Charles 'The Hat' Lehman - Director at Large

Agenda

Metrics

  • Workshops & Event Attendance: 84
    • Arduino 101 Workshops
      • Free: 17
      • Paid: 13
    • Learn-a-thing
      • 54 attendees since inception
        • Charles suggested that one ought to advertise for upcoming workshops during their workshop.
    • LVL1 ought to do more workshops in the near future.
  • Cash Flow
    • Skipped over; discussed later in meeting.
  • Broken Things: 1?
    • Laser Cutter
  • Thank you to Tyler Jose Daniel et al. for winterizing the space/windows.

Old Business

  • Makerships
    • Have not seen much activity/applications until this past month
      • Why?
        • Maybe people do not feel comfortable with filling out the application.
    • Funding is good for a few months or so?
  • Member Generation & Retention
    • New member orientation
      • seemed to work well but we haven't done another one yet. Do we need another one soon?
    • Updated the membership form with more details about rules.
      • Wiki page reflects the new form, but does not yet reflect streamlined payment process; needs to be updated to reflect this.
    • 73 members as of December, at least 74 as of January.
    • Attention needs to be given to ensuring member storage is only being used by member.
      • Jared and Nathan will look at the member storage.
    • If membership keeps increasing we may need more member shelves soon.
  • Budget
    • Emergency Fund
      • LVL1 has $18000 to spend freely, but Daniel recommends we do not do this until at least march.
    • Recurring Cash Flow
      • LG&E bill was $730 in December, which is double what it was in the summer, but half what it was last winter, thanks to weatherization of windows.
      • Raj recommended a different account to keep our money in so it can earn more interest faster.
      • LVL1's sales tax exemption as a non-profit was approved
        • Purchases made online now need to be made through the official LVL1 account to be tax exempted; reimbursing incorrectly charged tax is difficult and thus advised against.
        • A list will need to be made to catalog which websites have official lvl1 accounts with the tax exemption already linked.
          • Danielle stepped up to work with tyler on this catalog and on IRL purchases.
    • Danielle also needs to update Secretary of State form for LVL1; Needs O/D information for this form.
    • Grants
      • SBA grant still has $25000 to be spent, on embroidery machine and other things?
  • Workshops
    • consistently bring new people into the space
      • as such, we ought to do more of them.
        • Jared will run a rPi class in the near future.
        • Charles plans to run a circuit-board design class in the near future.
        • It was suggested that a robotics class be run also, Jose has a plan for this.
        • Charles, Jared and Nathan showed interest in running a series of electronics workshops.
      • these topics reflect the data collected at the waiver as the topics people most want to learn more about/are interested in.
    • Additionally, questions were raised about targeting minors with workshop topics, like robotics.
    • Regardless, we need to do more workshops; they pay dividends for the space.
  • Space Cleanliness
    • Secret people have been secretly cleaning the space secretly
    • This is a great benefit to the space; thanks to those secret people.
    • The white cleaning rags are now pink (Thanks Daniel)
    • Charles' Gold Stars are a big hit
      • They need documentation, who was awarded it, when, why, etc.
      • Nathan will make a Gold Stars wiki page.
  • Space Habitability (HVAC & Insulation)
    • It is warmer than last winter, however if no one is around to turn on space heaters a couple of hours before an event, it is still cold by the time the event rolls around.
    • HVAC
      • We were given a quote that a system would cost $5300, and that the people the landlord usually does Heating/Cooling with would charge $3000 for parts and installation.
      • We need to decide if we want to pay $8300, or if we will have the man-power to cut labor costs and do it ourselves.
      • The air-conditioning unit Sean found in the building was assessed and found to be too small for a space of our volume.
      • Energy use increase is probably negligible in switching from space heaters to an HVAC system, and a switch will reduce dust.
  • Facilities Maintenance
    • By and large things are fixed when they are broken. (Thanks Nathan)
    • Laser Cutter
      • The laser cutter needs an RFID system to be 'unbroken'.
        • Tyler is making this happen.
          • The RFID System is an extension of the door system and will be able to log use, as per the landlord's request. Additionally limitations by badge ID and time of day can be set, especially for initial testing.
      • The landlord needs to install a pipe to the roof for the laser.
        • Danielle will contact them about this.
      • regular maintenance of outtake tube and fans etc. needs to be added to Laser Cleaning log.
        • no one stepped up to the plate to make this happen; will bring up next time.
    • Broken Buttons
      • There are 7 of them up and running, ready to be installed in the space.
      • They have a wiki page.

New Business

  • Bad people doing bad things at the space
    • Bill has a plan for cameras
      • quote given for 6 cameras, 16 channel DVR, $1400
      • 5 matching for inside, 1 different for outside use, 1000 lines per inch (high quality)
      • Intended setup as of meeting:
        • Laser Cutter
        • Shop Bot
        • 3D printer(s)
        • One at each of three entrances.
      • Questions were raised about whether this was too many cameras, not enough cameras, if they were in the right places, etc:
        • Both vandalism and theft are issues assumed to be prevented by camera install. To what extent does this install plan aim to prevent these?
        • Where does the membership stand between the apparent dialectic of member-storage privacy versus member-storage security?
        • To what extent will the language in the vote reflect the intended use of the camera system?
        • To what extent is lvl1 inc. responsible for the state of member's items left in the space, specifically left in member storage?
      • Bill will have a meeting in a week (Jan 26th) to discuss these issues further.
  • Lease / Look for a new space?
    • The lease is up on July 1, 2017
      • To what extent do we get along with the current landlords?
      • If we can't resolve ourselves with the landlords, we'll be forced to move.
    • Bob may want to lease us his building
      • The ball is in his court; we're waiting for a monthly quote.
      • Where is it located?
    • One ought to start a conversation with the membership about how the membership feels about the current space.
      • Jared and Nathan will make a survey for the membership and send it out before the end of February.
    • The move to this space took all-in-all between 3-5 years; considering moving again would be a big ordeal.
  • Other New Business:
    • Space security has been an issue, people leaving doors unlocked and leaving, etc.
      • Tyler will make an indicator panel to hang in a prominent location that will let all know of the open/closed status of all exterior doors in the space.
      • Danielle will get with Bill and the Landlords about approving our RFID system install on the new door.
    • Someone (who?) will go through the scrap wood pile and dispose of excess before Feb. 13th.
  • Next Meeting Details
    • Next meeting is Feb 16th
    • How often to meet?
      • every month until we get used to this.


Minutes

Meeting Start: 9:07 PM Meeting Stop: ~9:45 PM Notes Taken by: Jared